The right to keep and bear arms (RKBA) is sometimes called “Liberty’s Teeth” because it protects all the rest of our liberties. The CRPA legal team works to strategically develop Second Amendment jurisprudence and to challenge unconstitutional or illegal and ill-conceived gun laws in court. Our team of highly regarded civil rights attorneys and scholars from across the country have the experience, resources, skill, and expertise needed to maximize the potential for victory in California’s often hostile 2A environment.
The ruling in the hard fought McDonald case (in which The CRPA Foundation filed an amicus brief) opened the door for additional legal challenges to state and local gun laws in California. Now that we have court rulings confirming that the Second Amendment civil right applies nationally. Winning decisions in other jurisdictions can be used as important legal precedent in California. The CRPA legal team litigates against ill-conceived gun control laws and ordinances. With decades of experience litigating civil rights issues, the lawyers and experts that make up The CRPA Legal team provide perspective and experience that is more critical than ever.
ADDITIONAL RESOURCES & ACTIVE CASES
- May v. Bonta– SB 2, Sensitive Places Challenge
- CRPA v. City of Glendale- Sensitive Places Challenge– Settled
- Boland v. Bonta-Roster Challenge
- South Bay Rod and Gun Club v. Bonta (Challenge to SB 1327-CRPA WIN!)
- Junior Sport Magazine, Inc. , et al v. Bonta (Protecting Youth Shooting)- Preliminary Injunction on possible appeal
- NYSRPA v. Bruen- Update Page
- NYSRPA v. Bruen– Carry outside of the home (WIN for Gun Owners!)
- NEW! B & L Productions v. Newsom ( B & L II)
- Rhode v. Becerra– Ammunition Restrictions Litigation Updates (Remanded and Additional Briefing Ordered)
- NEW! Duncan v. Becerra– Large Capacity Magazine Litigation Updates (Remanded and Additional Briefing Ordered)
- Caniglia v. Strom– VICTORY- Community Caretaking & Warrantless Searches
- Amicus Filing Updates
- B & L Productions, Inc. d/b/a Crossroads of the West, v. 22nd District Agricultural Association– Gun show Protection
- B & L Productions, Inc. d/b/a Crossroads of the West v. Newsom (Orange County-Gun Show Protections)
- Kirk v. City of Morgan Hill– Mandatory Reporting of Lost/Stolen Firearms- Preemption Case
- Rupp v. Becerra– Challenge to the California Assault Weapon Ban.
NEWS REPORTS ON LITIGATION
- Gun Show Injunction Brings Back the Debate
- What is Next for Gun Shows- Report on Injunction
- Duncan v. Bonta skips 3 judge panel!
- Judge Benitez- Duncan Decision
- Handgun Roster Challenge in the Ninth Circuit- Attorney Interview
- State of California Must Pay Legal Fees for Unconstitutional Law
- News-Court Hearing Considers Status of Youth Marketing Law
- CRPA Files Sensitive Places Case
- News- Chuck Michel Gives Case Update- Duncan v. Bonta
- News- Chuck Michel Talks Data Breach and Private Claims
- News-CRPA Files Motion to Stay Issuance of Mandate in Duncan v. Bonta
- News- CRPA Files Amicus Brief Urging the Supreme Court to Strike New York’s Restrictive Carry Law and Adopt a Meaningful Standard for Reviewing Second Amendment Challenges
- News- BREAKING NEWS! NINTH CIRCUIT EN BANC PANEL HEARS ORAL ARGUMENT IN CRPA CHALLENGE TO STATEWIDE BAN ON STANDARD CAPACITY MAGAZINES
- News- COURT RULES THAT $30 MILLION LAWSUIT AGAINST CALIFORNIA DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE FOR BLOCKING LEGAL GUN SALES CAN PROCEED
- News-California’s “Assault Weapon” Ban Ruled Unconstitutional: What Does Miller really mean for gun owners?
- News- CRPA, Gun Owners of California, and the Second Amendment Law Center Join Forces to File Amicus Brief Urging the Supreme Court to Review New Jersey’s Unconstitutional Magazine Capacity Restrictions
- News- CRPA Joins New Second Amendment Law Center and Gun Owners of California in Brief Before the U.S. Supreme Court