Become a CRPA Certified Instructor and Train for CRPA!
Welcome! CRPA is looking for the best trainers in California to train the over 1 million new and existing gun owners in our state.
We are glad that you are exploring the option of becoming a CRPA Certified Firearms Instructor. Our CRPA Training Team has been providing training through non-California based curriculum for many years. About two years ago, that same training team of dedicated volunteers and contract trainers decided that we at CRPA could do better and they began the development of a training curriculum that is 100% California based. Our CRPA Certified Trainers have a combined knowledge of almost 500 years of training in California with all types of training.
California is unlike any other state in the country with their constant attacks on lawful gun owners and politicians making it difficult to own a firearm, know the laws, understand the culture of being a gun owner, and what your safety responsibilities are. Over the past two years, we saw a great increase of new gun owners during the pandemic and lockdown times and now with crime on the rise in the state, many are seeking out their Second Amendment rights for the first time for protection of their families. CCW applications are on the rise with the latest Supreme Court decision of Bruen and currently there are not enough classroom spaces available in counties to quickly accommodate the influx of applications.
The CRPA Instructor Certification will help to relieve some of the access to firearm training that we have in the state by providing more access to certified training instructors across the state using California-specific training materials to meet those needs.
What are the Requirements for being a CRPA Certified Instructor?
Because CRPA seeks to offer the highest quality training in California, we have some requirements for anyone who trains with our CRPA materials or as a CRPA Certified Instructor.
- Successfully complete the training for the topic they wish to train on and meet with CRPA Training staff per online meeting or in office.
- Must have one team-teaching session with another CRPA Certified Instructor in your area.
- Must have individual insurance which will name California Rifle & Pistol Association, Incorporated as an additional insured on the policy.
- Must be upstanding member of the community and able to own or possess a firearm for lawful purposes.
- Must use the approved hold harmless and waiver agreements for class or range participant instruction.
- Must hold a current CRPA Instructor Certification (accreditation)- Includes: being a current CRPA member, 16 hours per year of continuing education (additional training, teaching courses, working a range, or assisting another instructor), expected to attend CRPA Certified Instructor events at least once every two years.
- Must keep up with changes to CA law as it is constantly changing (CRPA to provide legal updates via online interactive webinars just for CRPA Certified Instructors)
- Follow the outline of courses and pre-requisites to ensure that courses are completed in the proper order. Outline Can be Downloaded Here.
Once I Am Certified by CRPA, How Do I Start Training?
Once you are a CRPA Certified instructor, you can enjoy training gun owners across the state in one of two ways:
- If you are already an established trainer in the state, you can purchase the curriculum to use in your own training classes. Training materials can be ordered here and will be shipped directly to you. (Please order at least 2 weeks in advance to insure timely delivery)
- If you are not an established instructor, do not want the administrative work of conducting training courses, or if you would like to just volunteer or be a contractor for CRPA, then we have that option for you as well. You still need to meet with requirements of becoming a CRPA Certified Instructor and you will need to complete either a CRPA Volunteer Instructor Agreement or a CRPA Contractor Instructor Agreement.
Once you have completed both of these items the CRPA Training staff will work with you and the areas where you are able to hold a training class. CRPA Training staff will promote the classes in your area, collect the registrations and fees, and send you the materials in preparation of the training class.
Benefits of being a CRPA Certified Firearm Instructor
- Top training curriculum in the state of California, specific to California law
- Regular updates from the CRPA legal team on changes to the law that you should know.
- Certificate stating that you are an accredited CRPA Instructor in various disciplines
- Patch for training discipline upon certification
- Ability to order exclusive CRPA Training gear- For CRPA Certified Instructors only.
Already a CRPA Certified Instructor?