Carbine I-Introduction to Urban Rifle
CARBINE I — INTRODUCTION TO URBAN RIFLE
Sixteen-Hour Tactical Course
“A Place to Shoot”
33951 San Francisquito Canyon Road, Santa Clarita, CA 91390
Objective: To provide students with the basic knowledge and experience to safely and proficiently operate their carbine/tactical rifle in personal protection, home defense, and general sport shooting roles. This course will emphasize utilization of the carbine in conjunction with the student’s sidearm in a two-gun package, to maximize defensive use-of-force options over a broad range of possible tactical scenarios. Students will gain confidence and proficiency, learning combat proven shooting and manipulation techniques.
Instructors: Police Sergeant Brian Fitzpatrick (Ret.) — California P.O.S.T. certified patrol rifle instructor — wrote the formal proposal resulting in his agency’s adoption of the AR-15 platform as their department’s patrol rifle. Brian subsequently served as an instructor during an agency wide transition to the Colt Commando M-4 carbine/patrol rifle. We guarantee low student/instructor ratios (4-to-1) to insure safety, quality training and individual attention.
Topics Covered Include:
- Firearms Safety Rules — on and off the range
- A brief history — Development, significance, and characteristics of the “Assault Rifle”
- What’s legal in California — Bullet button rifles and pre-ban, registered assault weapons
- Rifle nomenclature, cycle of operation, manipulation, sighting systems
- Field stripping, cleaning and maintenance
- Rifle set-up, zeroing/ballistics, sling adjustment/techniques, marksmanship fundamentals
- Transitioning to handgun (including review of presentation from holster)
- Loading, chamber-check, magazine changes, unloading and making safe
- Defensive rifle ready conditions (vehicle, home, gun-safe)
- Rifle shooting positions, maximizing cover advantage, negotiating terrain features
- Movement — turns to contact, shoot/reload on the move, tactical decision making
Prerequisite Training: Intermediate Defensive Pistol or equivalent course
Ammunition: 500 rounds of rifle ammunition, 200 rounds of pistol ammunition
Tuition: $500.00. “A Place to Shoot” also charges a $15.00 daily fee per shooter at check-in station (cash or check only).